Sunday, January 11, 2009

A bunch of SLOB's


What do you call 25 guys and gals who stand around drinking and talking about beer?

Some call them SLOB's! In fact they call themselves SLOBs or San Luis Obispo Brewers.

I recently attended my first meeting with this loose-knit group of home-brewers. As you may know, I have been brewing beer in my kitchen for the last six months. I can't stop. I have brewed a few good batches now and thought this would be a good way to share and get some input about my beer.

So, I packed up a few of my latest Imperial Pale Ale bottles and hit the road.

All I can say is that this little "meeting" was both a dream and a nightmare. I had some brews that I loved like a nice Dopplebock and Strawberry Mead. Mead is a honey based brew that is light and pleasant to drink. This one was fruity and similar to champagne. I also had some that just made me say, "Whoa, that's interesting" like the sour Belgium beers. Others, like the very strong Russian Imperial Stouts helped me realize some things I may not like.

I shared my pale ale with the group and they actually did not spit it up and tell me not bring anymore. I received a couple of compliments even. One guy said, "Well, I don't smell or taste anything wrong..." and another said, "What hops did you use?" I take these as compliments since they didn't give me hints about how to brew better or say "Why does your brew taste like dirty socks?"

This was one interesting social group or maybe subculture would be more descriptive. I expected people to talk about their beer in detail then serve us. Each tasting taking five to ten minutes. I expected a formal tasting type of setting, not unlike a wine tasting.

I was wrong. I showed up to Doc's Cellar brew shop and was told to fetch a cup and help my self to a brew on tap in the fridge. The meeting started with us organizing the order of brews to be presented, like at a wine tasting when they serve the light whites to the bold reds. However, unlike a wine tasting, these guys did NOT have a place to pour out any drinks, like a spit bucket. These guys drank, it seems, everything! I did not.

So we started with a nice German pilsner lager and then it got weird fast. The theme was spiced brews for the winter season, so we had many strange concoctions, including pumpkin spiced ale.
Anyways, I tasted 23 types of beers*. The first ten I drank freely, but then I realized I was getting a bit sauced or light on my feet. The remaining beer I had to just sip and then pour out the rest. I should have said "NO" at some point, but I hatted to miss even one.

The final drink I had was something called Barley Wine. It is a strong type of beer that is aged for a year or so. I don't think I'll ever want to make any, but it sure was uhmm...interesting.

After some time and a cigar, I headed home to a wife that won't want to kiss me for a few hours.

*Below is the list of brews served:

Cider - Dave
Pilsner - Chris
German Hefeweizen - Russell
American Red Ale (Hallertauer hops) - Eric B.
American Red Ale (Chinook and Amarillo hops) - Eric B.
Dopplebock - Andy
Imperial Pale Ale - Tom J.
Belgian Strong Ale - Mike
Strawberry Mead - Daryl
Spiced Ales - hosted by Jason
Belgian Grand Cru - Ken
Spiced Vanilla Ale - JJ and Scott
Spiced Ale - Eric V.
Oaked Spiced Ale - Richie
Chocolate Coconut Porter - Chris
Pumpkin Ale - Jason
Heather Ale - Jason
Gruit - Jason
Russian Imperial Stout - Russell
Russian Imperial Stout - Ken
Barleywine - Dave
Barrel Project - Jason

1 comment:

Bill said...

"... for a few hours."

Make that DAYS.