Monday, February 16, 2009

Death, Taxes, and Cats Laying On Laptops

It's tax time. I know this because I'm staring at documents that make no sense to me, no matter how many beers I drink. -- Dave Barry

Ahhh, the joys of arranging stacks of 1099's, w-2's, forms 8889, 8880, 8917, and 1040 (with schedule B and D of course). All this crap sent from the many jobs, banks, and various other sources of taxable income. They say it's the digital age! I lay it all out on the floor, organize it, start a spreadsheet to tally up our data, and then come the attention-starved Feline Buzzards of the vast and boring house...



As you know, you can never attract only one buzzard to the tax carcass...


It is hard enough to even start doing this excruciating task, but add the cats and soon I was playing with feathers and catnip toys and forgot whatever it was I was doing. And yes, I did take a lofty deduction for cat-interference.



...24 hours later, I finally completed the taxes for our first joint return. It was interesting doing both Sarah and my taxes this time. She has many things that I have never seen before. I think I got it all worked out, mostly due to the fact she had last years return to aid me. It looks like Uncle Sam has been robbing us blind this year! Thanks to all the losses in stocks, investment funds, high costs of school, we will get a decent refund.

Regarding our home state of California: Uncle Schwarzenegger ain't paying anything...unless I send my ferocious tax cats to collect...

No comments: