Thursday, February 05, 2009

While my chicken Currie is simmering, I thought I might type up a little blurb here.

The new job is going great. It is not a job for people who think about germs as a "bad" thing, don't like rain, panic easily, or don't like sick humor. I must not mind all this since I only think of this when I am telling others what it is like.

Today was a muddy mess, but a good day. I got rain gear, which was much needed since it rained all day. I was mentored by a different person today. He was eccentric but the best trainer I have had. I realized today that I am not intimidated by the wastewater plant as much as I thought I would be.

We had a safety meeting today that comprised of me signing my name, hearing gossip, then leaving. Unlike my last job, they have Internet and server access on a thing called a computer. We had a seminar today about a chemical pump system that will be used in the new plant. After the overview, we went out to physically check it out. The company who was installing it tried to show us how it worked, but the city plant workers noticed right away something was wrong. They found a valve closed nearby that was very important to the system functioning. It keeps us on our toes. As this new plant is being constructed around us, we will do our best to keep an eye on the functionality of what will be left for us to operate.

When I was out doing plant checks or rounds, I found water bubbling up from a gravel road. I called another operator over and he asked me if it was hot water. I touched it and it was warm. Apparently the construction crew had crushed a pipe. I even got a compliment from the operator today when he said, "At least they didn't hire an idiot."

At home, Sarah is having a tough time with her classes. She studies all the time. We have been trying to watch a rocket launch from the local Air Force base, but they keep postponing it and now the weather is bad. So, it is not likely we will see one launch for a month or so.

Well today is Sarah's Friday and tomorrow is my first Friday at this new job.

No comments: