Thursday, March 26, 2009

Wife is NOT Roommate

Did you know that having a roommate is NOT the same as having a wife.?

You see, in the past, I have had several roommates. I have had some great roomies and some not so great. My best friend, Justin, and I were roommates without much issue at all. In fact Justin and I had a third roommate that changed the locks on the door when we left his VCR on!

So, a roommate is someone that you are around but don't really have to like. In most cases I did like my roomies, but not always. When I didn't like my roommates, we had separate rooms and lives. Simply, we only had to interact once in a while.

It is not the same with a wife. You could do that, but you might not want to. Unlike a roommate, you have to communicate often. If you have an argument, you don't go to another room and slam the door. You now share a room. So, when you want to get away, it's not that easy.

In many ways, Sarah and I are like roommates. We have fun together, share the bills, and work at keeping the house tidy. We eat Chinese food, watch TV, and hang out together.

It is tough at times. When I just want to be alone, we share a bed. It is not the kind of thing to take lightly. When you share a bed with your spouse, you have to figure it out. I have gone to bed angry, always about stupid things like money. It sucks laying in bed next to someone you don't want to talk to, much less touch.

I realized that someone was right when they said "Never go to bed angry." They didn't say with your spouse, but now I know that is what they meant. We are very happy, but like roommates, we have our times when things just ain't so fun.

It seems that we are starting to understand this a little more. It's not so much marriage as it is close-quarters cohabitation. No matter what, I have to come home and be with my wife/roomie.

No one said it would be easy, but no one said it would be this much fun either!

No comments: