Saturday, June 20, 2009

Ice Cream

Weekends are for many things. Some weekends are for cleaning, but not this one.

We took a long walk through the woods, walked on an ocean pier, drank some wine, ate at a new restaurant, and grilled burgers and corn.

Of course, I made some beer. But the new thing was ice cream.


In 1972, the first pocket scientific calculators got into the hands of people who had previously only had a slide rule. Don't get me wrong, I did not exist yet, but like slide rules, the hand crank ice cream maker was doomed from the beginning. Electric versions of both became the standard.

Enter me, 36 years later, at a local flea market purchasing a 1972 Waring Ice Cream Parlor for $2.50. I got a simple, quick recipe and got to making some home-made ice cream!

2 cups heavy cream (1 pint)

2 cups milk

3/4 - 1 cup sugar

1-1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

1/8 tsp. salt

I added the ice and salt to the outer-ring of the mixer and set the timer for 20 minutes.


Now it's time to reap the rewards...

1 comment:

Bill said...

You're kidding. My HP-45 is older than you?