Monday, November 03, 2008

Beach Bum Tom is Dead!

Beach Bum Tom (me) is dead!

My days of bumming on the beach are over. Today is my last day of "freedom." I got a job. Coming out of retirement is harder than I thought. Now when people ask me what time I am available, I will actually have certain times!

I always loved the spin people put on being jobless. It's embarrassing. My neighbor asks me if I got a job yet. My family, friends, wife, Mother in law, even my cats ask me if I found anything yet.

Some people say, "I'm between jobs" or "I'm self-employed." I prefer the following:

- I am Experimenting with real-time time travel
- Social Network Engineer
- I am waiting for the Cable Guy
- Pro-Bono Video Game Tester
- Cat Whisperer

The phone rang this morning to tell me they accepted my offer and want me to start tomorrow.

I have company orientation tomorrow, then I start work at the plant on Wed. I will be doing laboratory testing and quality control at an oil refinery.

I would go to the beach today, but it is cold and overcast. Maybe I'll go anyways...my last day to beach bum!

No comments: