Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Fondue, FON"DON'T"!

I may have committed treason, heresy, and even blasphemy. But, most of all I have done a bad thing. I have committed a sacrilege to the world of fondue cooking. The basic meaning of sacrilege is "An act of disrespect or impiety toward something regarded as sacred."

Maybe you make fondue with wonderfully fresh shredded Gruyere and Emmental cheeses. Maybe you add a nice wine, after taking a sip from the bottle first. Or, maybe you rub a freshly sliced clove of garlic in the bottom of the pan before you add the wine and cheese. Maybe you like a little "Bam" to it and add some Kirsch brandy.

If this is your idea of fondue, then you should hate me. Before you send an angry mob, I too have made the aforementioned fresh ingredients to compose a great fondue.

However I was weak today. I went to the store to buy the cheeses for fondue. They had Gruyere, but no Emmental. Crap, I thought, now what? Then, I saw it, the "BOX."



This box contained all the ingredients for Swiss fondue. It had the cheeses, starch ,wine, and brandy. I thought, "No way, it can't be good, it can't." It said in the lower right hand corner of the box, "Product of Switzerland"...sold. I threw it into the shopping cart and grabbed some bread to go with it.

I got home and threw it together in my recently acquired electric pot. There is probably some fondue rule also about using only flame heaters.




I cooked it up and it was not much different from the norm. In fact, when the daughter of the blog Twelve Two Two Fondue ate my "squeezed out of package" fondue, she said it was an 8 out of 10! In fact, the only real complaint she had was the brandy in it.

I hope my Father-in-Law does not read this...

1 comment:

Bill said...

Too late, heretic.