Friday, January 27, 2006

My brother, David

I normally will write humor (debatable), satire, and general informative type stuff. I want to keep it light and easy to read. I also want to inform those of you that know or care about me.

Today, January 27, is my brother's birthday. My brother, David Lee passed away at an early age of 26 almost five years ago on Jan. 13, 2001. So today is very sobering for me.

My brother had trouble much of his life with alcohol and then drugs. Heroin was what got him eventually. Really, his death was probably the best thing for someone in so much pain from the addiction. I think of him often. Every-time I hear someone struggling with an addiction or appears to be in the grips of some substance or alcohol, I think of Dave. I still have some guilt about what I "could" have done. I wish I could have taken him somewhere, away from all this. But the reality is that he chose the path. My family loved and still love him. We really did our best to help him get out of that lifestyle.

My brother passing has given me a different view on life. I use his death to remind and motivate me to be better, if not for myself, at least for him. I miss having Dave around, we all do. Often, I start thinking how lucky I am to be here, with a family, girlfriend, extended family, that care so much about me.

Happy Birthday Dave

No comments: