Monday, April 17, 2006

Spring-a-Ding Ding

Well, the warm season is here. The long cold winter has slid away and now things are growing with a fervor. I have had thoughts of spraying weed killer, yet, it all just started. I planted a couple of new roses in my rose bed, two tomato plants, four Bleeding Hearts (Japanese ferns), and in the round cast-iron planter in my front yard, I threw in a packet of Zinnia seeds I received in the mail as a "guilt bribe" to donate to the College of the Ozarks.

The Zinnias have sprouted up nicely and the squirrels in the Ash tree are feeding their new little ones just born into the world of deadly car tires and dogs. I lend them a hand by filling the squirrel feeder. I have a cat that lives in my greenhouse and I feed the birds that feed the cat. I ruined the Spring for a pair of Starlings because I removed their nest to repair a section of the overhanging roof that sagged a bit.

The main sign of Spring is when the neighbors all start mowing their lawns and finally, I have to give in and do it also. Here in the Midwest, we LOVE to mow grass. in California it was a chore, but here every man woman and child grows up mowing grass. If fact, I never saw many women mowing grass until I moved out here to Missouri. I see Grandmas with straw hats riding John Deer tractors and bikini clad women weed-eating around fences.

The fish are biting so I better go...

No comments: