Tuesday, December 09, 2008

"I Lost My Office!"

A funny thing happened this week at my work...

The word on the street was that the main offices of our company would be moved from the oil fields to the refinery, where I am. Not exactly welcome to the old timers who like the peace and quiet, but I don't care either way. A new building will be added to the current offices. Part of the plans were to remodel the current administration offices to accommodate the new group. This is were the interesting part is.

Last Friday, a crew showed up and started gutting and tearing the office interior apart. They started in the hallways, and the workers in each office kept working. Soon, the dust from the deconstruction was too much, so they wore dust masks as they worked. We even gave the construction crew dust masks to wear.

Everyone went home Friday night.

Monday Morning was when things went bad! The deconstruction laborers had worked all weekend tearing the place up. My plant supervisor came into the lab were I was working and said, "I lost my office!" I looked at him quizzically. It seems they filled his office with doors, desks, and various parts of the building. Apparently our main office forgot to tell our office workers that they should go on vacation for a week or two during the remodel.

Now if this was me, I might get a little pissed off with someone. If I had no warning that I would not be able to work, then I might have some words to share with someone.

My boss, the plant supervisor, is very different from me, and rightfully so. He has been there thirty years and is only a couple years from retirement. So, he just lets things happen and waits for his retirement.

The office secretary has lost her desk and was seen wondering around the plant today.

The plant supervisor has not been seen since early Monday morning when he lost his office.

No comments: